The Puff Reports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Puff Reports

Beauty from the eyes of nerdy teens livin' on a dream and one hell of a prayer

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Homemade Bath Stuff

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aelwyn

Aelwyn

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-15

Homemade Bath Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Bath Stuff   Homemade Bath Stuff EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 9:45 pm

I thought I'd share some recipes for homemade bath and beauty products. With EXTREMELY sensitive skin, and being allergic to various soaps and creams, I have found a lot of stuff that works FABULOUSLY. So, here are some of my faves:

Soap

My skin is EXTREMELY allergic to soaps and stuff, so Grant and I decided to make our own. Smile It's super easy, and I highly recommend it! The ingredients are actually relatively cheap, and it's SOOOOO easy to make soap. Just head to your local Michael's or Joanne's Crafts and you can get a soap kettle and all the ingredients you need. I prefer to get my herbs and essential oils at actual herb stores, though, since they are approved for consumption, which to me means less additives.

My favourite combos:

Shea butter base soap, chamomile essential oil and ground flowers. Super moisturizing, and so gentle on skin. Didn't even make me break out.

Shea butter base soap, ground lavender and peppermint, lavender and peppermint essential oils. Smells YUMMY, and is moisturizing, but the lavender and peppermint is also toning. The ground herbs act as gentle exfoliaters as well.

Bath Salts

I LOVE bath salts, but my "lady parts" didn't. I would always get yeast infections and urinary tract infections from the additives and fake scents. So I started to make my own! The easiest recipe is this:

1 cup epsom salts
1/2 cup baking soda
1/4 cup sea salt (I like fine ground, but coarse works too)
A few drops of whatever essential oil you like (I LOVE lavender for relaxation, peppermint to energize, or rose to make you feel schmexy)
Mix all of these VERY WELL in a ceramic bowl with a wooden spoon (the essential oils react badly to metal or plastic). Add a handful to warm bath water and enjoy!

Here's a variation, but these are FIZZY bath salts. The Citric Acid is a water softener, so the water feels silky smooth in the bath, and your skin feel fabulous afterwards:

1 cup baking soda
½ cup cornstarch
½ cup citric acid
Prepare same as Basic Bath Salts.

And here is how to make BATH BOMBS. These are awesome, fun to make, and a great gift. You can make them in all kinds of shapes (use baking pans, soap molds, or ice cube trays for interesting shapes).

1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid (do not substitute ascorbic acid)
1/2 cup corn starch
1/3 cup epsom salts or coarse sea salt
About 1 tsp of your essential oil of choice
Optional: dried herbs (I put the herbs in the bottom of the mold, so they were on the top of the bath fizzy, and they looked really pretty)
Need: Spray bottle with water

Use a ceramic bowl and wooden spoon. Mix all dry ingredients, then add the essential oils slowly, stirring well. If the mixture isn't damp enough to form a "clump" after you mush it in your hand, spray a bit of water and mix well (don't let the mixture fizz!). When it gets to the point where you can almost form a ball with the mixture, put it in your molds.

It should sit for about 24-48 hours in the molds. Take them out, and let them cure for another couple days. This way they'll be super solid, and won't crumble when you try to wrap them. For storage, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and put in an airtight container.
Back to top Go down
sarahPUFFY!

sarahPUFFY!

Number of posts : 210
Job/hobbies : blogging, singing, eating...living!
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Bath Stuff   Homemade Bath Stuff EmptyThu Mar 20, 2008 10:34 pm

thanks for the recipes, shauna! I'm so gonna have to make these sometime...I love being a creative nut n.n
Back to top Go down
http://thepuffreports.blogspot.com
twilightshadows

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Bath Stuff   Homemade Bath Stuff EmptyFri Mar 21, 2008 10:56 pm

I love you for posting this! I hate how expensive store stuff is, and it's not even always worth it. I can smell a new use for my employee discount..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Bath Stuff   Homemade Bath Stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Homemade Bath Stuff
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Puff Reports :: Skincare :: Bath Time!-
Jump to: